The art of turning "good junk" into "great design"

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Barn Board Clock

A few years ago when we were redoing our son's bedroom in a wilderness theme, I got the bright idea that we should make a headboard out of barnboard, and it turned out great, if I do say so myself.  There wasn't another one like it .  That's for sure.  The barnboard was free from a friend and the cedar posts had been in my father-in-laws shed.  It was a great recycling project, and Handy Husband did a super job.   Well, we moved from that house, and as kids do, he outgrew the idea of a themed room, and didn't want a headboard at all. 

About a year ago, I had been clock shopping for months, wanting something oversized for our kitchen wall, but my thrifty side couldn't part with the $100 for most of the ones that I really liked.  One day while looking out my kitchen window, I spied the bed, waiting for a campfire.  I recalled a barnboard type clock that I had seen at the mall, and I thought, why can't we make our own great timepiece?   I had bought a peel and stick clock at Costco many months before.  It was to be stuck directly onto the wall, but I wasn't sure that was the look that I was going for.  Those workings would be perfect for my project (So glad they never got stuck to the wall)
Handy Husband had his doubts, but he made braces for the boards, and I traced the circle onto the boards and he cut out the circle with the jig saw.
A little bit of time to put on the numbers and the hands and we had a working clock.  The only trouble was, the fresh cuts looked too fresh with the weathered barn board so to Google I went to find out how to solve this little esthetic issue.  I soaked a steel wool pad in distilled vinegar for at least 20 minutes. ( The steel wool started to disintegrate a little).  Then I used a rag and wiped the "coloured" vinegar onto the cut edges and you would think that it had been a circle for years.

This project cost about $15.  We have had so many compliments on our Barn Board Clock.  It truly is one of a kind 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you like this post, then we suggest you check out these