The art of turning "good junk" into "great design"

Sunday, October 16, 2011

How To Paint Your Kitchen Cabinets 101


Now I have learned first hand that this is not a task to be taken lightly. It takes time and patience but boy is it worth it!!


Step by Step Instructions


1.) Take it down- You have to take the cabinets down, all of them. I know, sigh, I told you this wasn't going to be easy.







2.) Take it off- Take off all the hardware and hinges. *Note: keep those little buggers somewhere safe if you are going to re-use them after*



3.) Sand er down- This step is important, you need to be sure to get all of the old paint or stain off.


4.) Cleaning time- Wipe down all the cupboard doors and make sure they are clean as a whistle.


5.) Prepare your space- Lay down lots of newspaper, cardboard whatever.


6.) Prime Time- Prime the cupboards first.


7.) Waiting time- Wait 6-8 hours before you move onto the next step


8.) Painting Time- Now I tried a couple of different ways to paint the doors. Best way I found is to brush in the little nooks and crannys then use a small sponge roller.





9.) Major Waiting Time- If I can give you any advice it's this; WAIT 24 hours between coats....DO IT. I also did some of my cupboards in my bathroom and I didn't wait and I am still paying for it!


Kitchen BEFORE




Kitchen AFTER


Now I did change the hardware on the cupboards but you can easily update your old stuff, here's how:
Take your hardware off your cupboards
Place on a piece of newspaper
Spray with Primer Spray paint
Let dry
Spray with whatever colour spray paint
Let dry
That's it, cheap and easy!




All you need is:
Sandpaper
Screw Driver
Primer
Paint
Brush
Sponge Roller
New Hardware (if you want)

3 comments:

  1. Did you use a polyurethane or anything over the paint? How are they holding up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your blog a lot. Its informative and full of information. Thank you for sharing.
    paint sprayers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you like it. We are back to posting new projects. Check back often to see what is happening at our houses.

    ReplyDelete

If you like this post, then we suggest you check out these