The art of turning "good junk" into "great design"

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Buffet makeover

This is a project that I did a few years ago, but a great example of a diamond in the rough. I found this great piece at  Fayes in Sebringville Ontario, just outside of Stratford.  This store has an ecclectic mix of treasure.  Just be sure you have devoted enough time to browse thoroughly.  You don't want to be rushed in this assortment of funky and fun memorabilia and antiques. 







The detail on this buffet was what caught my eye. And again, some people would have left if shabby chic, but that didn't really fit where I wanted it to go, and so the work began.



  I took the back piece off completely, and carefully removed the scrollwork details in order to strip all of the paint. 










Scrapers, steel wook and chemical strippers were my friends!







 On first glance you might think I was crazy to have spent $200 on the buffet, and as I was stripping the  paint, I might have concurred. 








However after much time spent in the garage, my diamond in the rough, is now a true gem in my eat in kitchen.  I love the contrast in the decorative carved mouldings and the piece itself. 








The hardware is original, and even has some paint left on it which gives it a unique pantina (better than saying that I gave up on trying to remove all of it).


This buffet is a great storage space for silverware and  large serving platters, and the bottom drawer stores my table linens.  Watch for an upcoming blog about the buffet that this treasure replaced.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you like this post, then we suggest you check out these