The art of turning "good junk" into "great design"

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Fall Mantle


Like many, Pinterest is my latest addiction and as all of those beautiful fall mantles kept getting pinned and repineed I thought, " I need to do this too."  Our fireplace was just begging to be decked out for fall and Canadian Thanksgiving.  You can check back to a previous post stone fireplace recording the building of our stone fireplace.






The oil painting on the left is one that my Grandma painted years ago, and is one of my favourites.  I have had it sitting frameless on the mantle since it was built, but I think a barnboard frame is in its future.  The gold frame is another of Grandma's treasures off of one of her other paintings.  It has been hanging in the garage and although Handy Husband might have liked to throw it away several times, I  kept saying "I am going to use that for something someday" and so now here it is showcasing my fall wreath made from silk mums and leaves that I got at Michaels on a 40% off day. The wreath was in the basement with some smaller leaves so just needed to be stripped and re-decorated, all for under $20.  I looked at premade fall wreaths, but where is the satisfaction in that and they were almost $40.  A small bag of pumpkins for $3.99 at our local grocery store,  look super on my old, rusty kitchen scale, and my  candle holders that work in all seasons and handhewn saw finish off this rustic look. 




I found a roll of burlap about 4" wide at Michaels and had a 40% off coupon so for $4, I have enough burlap to last for quite some time.  I should have taken pictures of the process, but this was a really easy script.  I printed out the script on my printer, enlarged to the size I thought would work, and because the burlap is a loose weave I was able to lay the paper with the printed words underneath and with a permanent marker trace overtop to give me this easy banner.





I even found an orange candle for my newell post!



And just one more quick fall project.  Another empty window frame in the garage with this chippy green paint, just begging to be used.  I took a piece of cardboard, painted it with black chalkboard paint, and again printed out my words on the printer.  Because it is cardboard, I could trace over the letters and see the indents to then be able to colour in with chalk.   I have added a few more pumpkins and some sunflowers in the crock and I think this front porch is finished.  Now to find great ideas for Chritmas.  Yikes!


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you like this post, then we suggest you check out these