The art of turning "good junk" into "great design"

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

And it starts

I have never had a house with a theme but since this place is so close to the water and feels like a cottage I decided on nautical lake house. It is clear to see that this house has not been updated in a long time. There are plenty of things that I would love to do in this house unfortunately everything I would like to do costs a lot of money and time. I really thought there were a lot of things about the house that I could not live with. Like the super small bathroom, kitchen, and bedrooms (lets be serious the whole house is small). Surprisingly after living here for one year it is the perfect size and layout for me. There are a lot of cosmetic things that I just couldn't wait to get my hands on! I started with the first room that you walk into, the living room. 



Here is the before of what the living room was like. The room is very small and the wood panelling and colours on the wall wasn't helping anything. Almost all the walls in the house were painted a pale yellow cream that just washed everything out. It all just had to go~the wood, curtains, and wall colour. I would love to tell you that I ripped out the carpet but.... I haven't yet. There is a subfloor in one of the bedrooms that needs to be replaced first. I have been told that houses like this with a crawl space often have issues with support beams, mold, and proper air flow. So before I go tearing up the floor I better be somewhat prepared for what I find underneath the floor! So I am living with it until I can't take it anymore!

So the first order of business:
Prime all the wood white
Then take that valance down. It was driving me crazy! 
Paint all the wood white
Paint the ceiling 
Paint the walls

It was kinda a crazy time, I think I left myself 2 days to paint everything before all my stuff was moving in. I had the help of a friend and my mom to help me paint. I believe in the end we had 3-4 coats of paint on all the wood.


Ta Da! I cannot for the life of me remember the paint colour. In the confusion of moving it is lost forever. It is a Martha Stewart light blue/grey colour, very bright and refreshing. Surprisingly almost all my furniture fit pretty perfectly. This picture was taken this winter and I have changed things around  a bit.



















So this was the first room that got a new look and I love it! Weird enough I hardly bought anything for this new house, and it has a totally different feel than my previous place. I will update some pictures to show how things have changed over the past few months. Next project, a VERY small kitchen with a very weird layout.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you like this post, then we suggest you check out these