The art of turning "good junk" into "great design"

Friday, October 2, 2015

Pumpkin Trifle

With Thanksgiving just around the corner in Canada, and our bountiful Fall harvest my thoughts turn to wonderful pumpkin desserts and this is a favourite at our house.  It not only tastes delicious but it is easy and looks fantastic on a Harvest table.  I hope that you enjoy this fabulous trifle as much as my family does.  Enjoy, and Happy Thanksgiving.



I have adapted this recipe from one that I found in Taste of Home magazine years ago.  It called for gingerbread cake mix, but as I couldn't find that here, I used a Duncan Hines Cake mix instead.  The recipe calls for canned pumpkin, but if you have pumpkin in the garden, why not use a small pie pumpkin instead.


 Ingredients:
1 Duncan Hines Spice  Cake Mix
1 package cook and serve Vanilla pudding
3 cups milk
1 can ( 29 oz) solid pack pumpkin- not pie filling
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
2 tsp cinnamon
1 container  Cool whip- or fresh whipped cream.

Prepare and bake spice cake according to package directions using 2 greased 9 in round baking pans.  Cool completely.
Meanwhile, for pudding, in a large saucepan combine pudding mix and milk and stir until smooth.  Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil.  Cook and stir 1-2 minutes longer or until thickened.   Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature.  Combine pumpkin, brown sugar and spices and stir into the pudding.
In a 4 quart trifle bowl crumble or place the entire cake layer in the bottom of the bowl- it looks nicer whole, and then I score the top so everything comes together.  Top with half of the pudding mixture, and whipped topping.  Repeat the layers.  Cover and refrigerate overnight.
This makes a lot so is a great dessert for a large gathering.




2 comments:

  1. That looks delicious! I love pumpkin desserts and will have to try it. We eat a lot of pumpkin muffins and pies. We use winter squash instead of pumpkin, but it's all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds fantastic! I love anything with coconut and I like yams too!

    ReplyDelete

If you like this post, then we suggest you check out these